Sunday 26 October 2014

Review: Resist

Resist

Author: Lilly Avalon
Series: Resist, #1
Genre: Romance, Erotica
Publisher: Lilly Avalon
Publication Date: Aug 26 2014
Format: ebook
Pages: 68
Source: NetGalley
Purchase: Amazon | B&N

Rating: ★★★. 5
Allegra Maxwell is sick of the monotony of life. It's all work and no play, and right now she wants to play. She shows up at her company's yearly meeting with one goal in mind: have a one night stand with a stranger. What she doesn't count on is Devlin Pierce walking through the door.

When Allegra first met Devlin, she knew he would be nothing but trouble. After he proved her theory true last year, she made a vow to avoid him at all costs. He's the last person she wants to see, and he knows it. He refuses to leave her alone though. As much as she tries to fight it, the pull he has on her is undeniable. Her ability to resist him proves impossible when Devlin makes her an offer she can't refuse.

One night. That's all he asks. That's all she wants. Or is it?
*Resist is a 21,000 word erotica novella, and the first of a two book series* (Goodreads)

Opening Lines
"This is a mistake.
Not pairing the silver stilettos with y brand new blue dress-no, that was genius. The mistake is coming here tonight when I should have stayed in my hotel room. It's not like I couldn't come up with a believable excuse. I'm relatively good under pressure. Not to mention the fact that lounging in nothing but a robe and watching from my window as the sun sets behind the Manhattan skyline sounded exceptionally better."

I have been wanting and waiting to read Resist for awhile now. When I came across it on NetGalley I automatically requested it but it sat there pending for weeks! When I finally received the notification that I'd been approved I downloaded it immediately and started reading. The Good? This book kept me intrigued, I didn't want to put it down and ended up finishing it in one sitting. Which isn't really hard considering it's a novella and only consist of 68 pages.

"Screw finding The One. I just need one night. That's all I ask, at least for now."

As for characters we have Allegra, she's on a mission and it's to find a complete stranger to have a one-night stand with. She's been successful when it comes to her work life, but hasn't had a relationship in a year. She's okay with looking for "The One" at a later date but she just needs something for the night. I like Allegra as a character, she's witty and had me giggling at a couple different moments throughout this novella. Enter Devlin, oh Devlin...I really liked the way Devlin was portrayed. He wasn't the typical bad boy or jerk that seems to be in almost every romance/new adult novels now a days. Was there chemistry between Allegra and Devlin? Oh for sure!!

"I match his gaze as I place the cheesecake in my mouth, slowly pulling the fork out. I lick my lips seductively, never looking away. He stiffens in his seat, leaning forward slightly. I toss him a quick wink and go for the last bite. After I use my forefinger to wipe my mouth clean, I place tin my mouth, licking the remainder of the chocolate off. At this point, his formerly open hand has turned into a fist. I'm getting to him. This makes me smile in victory."
You can see the attraction between Allegra and Devlin right away, and the chemistry continues to build until Allegra can't say no anymore and gives into what she really wants. I went into this knowing that it was going to be a two book series, which meant I knew I wouldn't get the ending of I wanted from Resist. But seriously?! That ending is not what I expected or wanted!!! I mean it's a good ending but it's a cliffhanger that has me wanting the next book in my hands, like NOW! Damn Cliffhangers.

So why didn't I give Resist 5 stars??
"Wait a second. Where am I? Because I could've sworn the last time I saw you, I told you to go to hell."

He frowns. "Come on, Allegra. You can't still be mad at me." I'd believe he is truly upset if it weren't for the puppy dog eyes he's giving me.

"You expect me to just let it go like that?" I snap my fingers.
I don't know what I really expected but I thought that whatever it was that happened between Devlin and Allegra was something major, I was disappointed when we learn what really happened a year ago. Basically they finally meet, flirt it up and have some intense eye contact but there was nothing concrete, no status per say. I mean it's clear there was an attraction but I'm not sure if what happened that night really justifies or lines up with Allegra's reaction to seeing him again.

"Goodbye, New York," I whisper. "Hello, next chapter."

Overall, Resist was a great read that kept my attention from beginning to end! Now I'm sitting here impatiently waiting for Longing which is the sequel to Resist and it's going to be a full length novel! WOOT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment